One honeybee's stinger wound up in a pretty weird location: lodged in the back of a teen girl's throat, a recent report of the case reveals. The year-old was hanging out by a pool when an insect unexpectedly flew into her mouth. The girl started coughing immediately, and over the next few hours, she started to feel pain in her throat and right ear, and had difficulty swallowing, according to the case report. Concerned about these symptoms, her parents took the girl to an ear, nose and throat specialist, where doctors used a device called a laryngoscope to examine the back of her throat, voice box and vocal cords. It was during this exam that the doctors spotted the cause of the teen's problems: A honeybee stinger had pierced through a flap of cartilage at the back of the throat called the epiglottis and was embedded in the tissue.